Monday, December 29, 2008

Game Cow week


Today I started an experiment, to see if I could build a game in one week. I’ve heard people describe what a great experience it was, and I’ve heard others talk about how it can sometimes take a big hairy audacious goal to really motivate you. So I came up with the idea last Saturday, I thought about it Sunday, and this morning at 7:30 I started working. I'm calling it game cow (Complete in One Week) week. If it goes well I may need to make it an annual event.

I’m going to update every day with progress reports, and screen shots so you can see how it’s coming.

It’s going to be a tower defense style game, with zombies. So today I worked on laying out a city that you could defend, and getting the zombies to walk through it. The image is a screenshot of what I got done today. You can see the hordes of zombies parading through the city.

I’m going to see what else I can get done before bed tonight, but tomorrow I’m going to start work on dynamic path finding. Today the zombies follow a hard coded path, but the player will be able to select which building they want to put the survivors in, and they will be able to blockade roads, so I’ll need the zombies to figure out the best path on a changing map.

Tomorrow will also see work on defenses. I’ll come up with some soldiers that the player can put throughout the city to take down the zombies as they go shuffling past.

If everything continues to go as well as it did today. Then I should have a functioning demo on Saturday for people to play. It won’t be very pretty, but it will work, and it will be fun. Check back daily for more zombie programming madness.

1 Comments:

At December 31, 2008 at 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, that is so great. It reminds me of nanowrimo (national novel writing month) for me. That is so cool that you are doing this, and it makes me want to be more dedicated to my writing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home