Thursday, June 11, 2009

Back to basics


So I spent about four hours watching zombies move through that small maze to the left, and making tweaks to how fast they came, how much damage the soldiers did, etc.

I've been having trouble with the gameplay, so I pulled it back to its most basic. No building capturing, only one type of zombie, only one type of human. I think it was a really good idea.

It certainly made it easier to see how these elements interact. I'm trying to figure out the optimal rate for the zombie's strength to grow, and how much damage soldiers should do, and so on. Balancing all this is hard work. I'm really surprised. For some reason I had often thought that the difficult part would be coding, but this is pretty tricky too.

I think I'm making progress. It's much more interesting than before. The early stages are filled with genuine panic, but somehow the humans grow too powerful after a while, even though theoretically they should be growing at the same rate.

So that's where I'm at. Hopefully I'll have this figured out before long, and hopefully what I learn here will help me get the other soldier and zombie types working faster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home